Shimogamo-Jinjya / 下鴨神社
The shrine is dedicated to the god of harvest. Traditionally, pure water was drawn from the nearby rivers for purification and agricultural ceremonies. The Hondo dates from 1863 and like the Haiden hall at its sister shrine, Kamigamo-Jinja, is an excellent examples of nagare- style shrine architecture. Today, the Shimogamo shrine is integrated into the Kyoto community. It hosts community wide markets, an old book fair, a lecture series on religious and historical topics, always bringing people together for social and spiritual purposes.
Open and Admissions
Entrance : Winter / 06:30AM - 17:00PM, Summer / 05:30AM - 17:00PM
Prayer Meeting : 09:00AM - 16:00PM
Oidono Palace (God's Kitchen) : 10:00AM - 16:00PM
Entrance : Free
Prayer Meeting : 10,000YEN～
Oidono Palace : Adult (500YEN), Under 12yrs (250YEN)
- From Kyoto St. -> (No. 4, 205) -> "Shimogamo-Jinjya Mae" bus stop (approx. 35 mins)
- Kyoto St. -> (Karasuma Line) -> Miike St.
- Change the train at Miike St. -> (Touzai Line) -> Sanjo St.
- Change the train at Sanjo St. -> Demachi Yanagi St.
- Demachi Yanagi St. -> (10 mins by walk) -> Shinogamo Jinjya